Tuesday, March 19, 2013

That's It, Folks.


The title of this post has nothing to do with my blog. It has everything to do with a memory of mine. When I was little, we spent many hours looking at slides on my Dad's Kodak Carousel Projector.  You may remember these. The slides were put in this round receptacle, which was attached to the top of the projector. It moved along when you pushed the button, dropping each slide one by one into the projector. 

I loved looking at slides when I was young. Usually, they were from some time within that year, when we were having a great time. Whether it was a neighborhood crab feast, or a summer with my cousins on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, it was fun to revisit that time. Now that I've scanned these slides, I often watch a "slide show" on my laptop for a trip down memory lane.

When I was scanning my Dad's old slides onto my computer, I came upon the slide above. It brought back just as many memories as the other slides did. Carousel provided this slide so that you could place it in the last slot. That way, you would know when the "show was over". I can remember sitting in a dark living room, eyes wide and used to the lack of light. Just when you were used to taking in every slide, this one would show up. OW! It was bright! Even though back then it was an annoyance, I scanned it anyway. It was part of the whole experience. And Mr. Director kind of makes me laugh!

7 comments:

Daisy said...

I don't remember Mr. Director, but I can remember a lot of time looking at slides that my Dad had taken too. Good memories!

Nancy Kay said...

Oh my goodness, this post brings back so many memories of my dad showing slides in our living room. When we had relatives visiting, it was always a good excuse to break out the ol' projector and screen. Thanks for this post... it puts a smile on the day.

Ben said...

Wow, yes, the second I saw that image it took me back to the darkened living room and the reminiscence. Now, when I try to show Dad our pictures, it's "show me your best ten!" LOL...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maple Lane said...

This brought back sweet memories for me, too! Hope you have a nice Monday, Margaret.

Dee said...

My Dad had one of those too. I spent many a summer hour looking at slides. Never did get tired of it.

I still have some of the slides. I have no idea what happened to the projector.

Remembering Dad said...

This is great! My (now passed) dad's projector still in storage. I'll bet Mr. Director is in there, too. I always looked forward to that slide.